Each layer of tiger's eye can differ in thickness, color and formation quality. The minimum size collected is .25 inches thick, while the biggest layer is about 9 inches thick. However, the most common thickness is between .75 and 2.5 inches. Any layer wider than 6 inches is uncommon and usually lower quality. Colors range from bright gold to grayish-yellow and from golden brown to opaque brown in the tiger's eye; hawk's eye can vary from a washed-out, uneven blue to deep, solid blue pieces. The fibrous crystal structure is variable as well: the largest crystals frequently form loosely-bound and incompletely, leaving occasional hollows in the stone, while the thinnest, finest crystal structure is denser and produces the smoothest appearance.
Our grading system is based on coloring and crystal composition. We can deliver the following varieties of rough tiger's eye in any combination of grades you would like. Piece sizes and thicknesses vary; please specify your desires according to the sizing table at the bottom.
- C Grade: less yellow, more grayish coloring; fibrous, rough structure; occasional pores
- B Grade: yellow-grayish color; somewhat fibrous structure, some inclusions
- A Grade: yellow color; good structure
- AA Grade: brighter yellow coloring; even structure; homogenous nature
- AAA Grade: bright golden yellow; fine, dense structure; pure pieces
- Tiger's eye with hematite (scenic tiger's eye): especially golden, finely crystallized tiger's eye with metallic, silver-colored hematite in layers
A grade only
- Tiger iron: tiger's eye with hematite, ferrous limonite, and occasional other minerals
Grade availability subject to change; please inquire when ordering
- Extra thick tiger's eye: very thick layers, up to 6 inches; dull color, porous
C grade; please inquire about different grades
Smaller, thinner pieces:
These pieces are approximately .75 - 2.75 inches across, and .5 - 1.75 inches thick.
- B - C
- A - B
These are about 2.75 - 9 inches across, and ordered according to quality and thickness.
- C .5 - 1 in.
- C 1 - 2 in.
- B .5 - 1 in.
- AB .5 - 1 in.
- AB 1 - 2 in.
- A .5 - 1 in.
- A 1 - 1.5 in./li>
- AA 1.5 - 2.5 in.
- B Grade
- A Grade
- C grade: uneven, faded blue; fibrous, rough structure; porous
- B grade: blue color; better structure
- A grade: deep blue; dense structure; pure pieces